Friday, March 13, 2009

Last Night's Ladies Night

Yesterday I spent all of my energy (and some borrowed energy) packing up Hunter's nursery.
Being REALLY preggy (those who have seen me lately can attest to that) and having a 13-month old weaving in and out of my legs as I attempt to pack made my job even more time-consuming and exhausting.
Although I was looking forward to getting out of the house and being with the girls, I was in a funk and didn't even feel like getting ready for our Ladies Night event.
Since I was the organizer, I had no choice, really. So I took a shower, put on something halfway decent, donned my plum velvet pumps and headed out the door.
I told myself "It's not like I can buy anything anyways...I'm HUGE and nothing will fit me," as I drove to the store. I then ran through my mental to-do list and scolded myself for even considering taking a break for something frivolous.
I parked, walked to Ambience, and entered the store. This is where my attitude changed.
I was greeted by D (the owner) and G (the awesome saleswoman) with such warmth and familiarity. Just behind them were Angela, Leslie, and Justine, all trying on clothes and having fun. Within seconds my resolve to be "preoccupied with life" dissolved and I allowed myself to enjoy this time away.
By the time I left the store an hour and a half later, I was walking arm-in-arm with one of my best friends, laughing about our evening together and promising to have lunch next week.
On the way home, I wondered what I was so afraid of -- letting go of my Mommy/Wife tasks for just an hour or two? 
Why is it that our hubbies can play Basketball numerous times per week for hours at a time without feeling like they are robbing the family of time together yet when I have something on a rare occasion that comes up, I feel guilty about it? When Trav plays his B-Ball games I don't ever feel like he's not being a good husband or father. So why would I put that pressure on myself to be present all the time? It was hard being the sole care-taker for Hunter (while Trav was working non-stop) and then suddenly sharing the responsibility. It shouldn't be...it should be a relief. And in most ways it is...but there is still that nagging feeling that I shouldn't have a life of my own right now because I didn't for the past year. 
This. Must. Change.
My resolution once we move is to allow others to share more of the baby-responsibilities so I can enjoy being my own woman again. Yes, I ADORE being Hunter's Mommy and Trav's Wife but I don't want that to define me. I want to attend my dance classes, see a chick-flick with my girlfriends, and get my nails done. I'm thankful that now we are moving back to Orlando I'll have the ability to do those things without hiring a sitter or working around Trav's impossible schedule. 
So let this act as a reminder to all of you other Mommas who find themselves "punishing" themselves like I did...
I REALLY enjoyed Ladies Night last night and I realized how much I needed and deserved it. You do too. Get off the sofa, out of the kitchen, out of your office, off the glider, and MAKE PLANS! :) You won't regret it.
Speaking of Ladies Night ---> if you need new jeans, Ambience is selling almost all of their designer jeans for $49!! They normally retail for $158 and up. Check them out! They also have a lot of tops and dresses on sale and D is spectacular at finding something your body looks amazing in. *which is crucial for our post-baby bodies* You can also shop their site: LINK

1 comment:

  1. Wow, when are you guys leaving?! Has Travis found a job in Florida? We're sorry to see you go and cannot thank you enough for all of your organizing and sharing get advice / stories!

    ReplyDelete