Saturday, March 21, 2009

Recipe of the Week - Actually Yummy Oatmeal Cookies


When I see "Oatmeal Cookies" in a cookbook, I feel like turning the page in search of their more sinful cousins. However, in an effort to finish up pantry items before our move (lest my husband tell me ANOTHER time how much food I over-buy -- even tho when I purchased the groceries in the pantry I had no idea we'd be moving...but I digress) I decided to make Oatmeal Cookies b/c I had two canisters of the Old Fashioned Oats from Quaker. I bought them because when made with pineapple juice, the oatmeal increased my milk supply while breast-feeding. I ate it about 3 times per day. I'll post that recipe too...
Sorry for all the tangents. :) Preggy brain. And moving brain.
So here's the deal: I made these cookies. They are FRIGGIN awesome -- and not just "for an oatmeal cookie". I mean, I would actually request these at a bakery. 
I changes the walnuts to chocolate chips to guarantee my hubby would help eat them. And I halved the recipe b/c the original (below) makes enough for a small army.

Hope you enjoy!!

Oatmeal Cookies

INGREDIENTS 
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 + 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats and nuts until just blended. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cookies should be at least 2 inches apart.
3. Bake for about 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment