Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Comparison is the killer of Contentment

I've said it before --- I consider myself very fortunate. Here I am, a new Mom, in what is possibly one of the best places to live as a young parent. Every time I stroll along the Promenade I meet new Mommies and see familiar friends and neighbors.
It brings me back to the original intention of this Mommy Group. When Susie and I met, it was out of a need for companionship. We found true friends in each other and thus the group grew.
We went from a "wee" group of 2 in early September to a group of 25 in exactly one year!
 My intentions for finding and belonging to a Mommy Group were to be supported and accepted by other parents...to be a friend and neighbor, a confidante and advocate...to help others feel like they are not alone in their quest for the best childcare in the area or the most effective toy-cleaning methods...to be amongst friends who cared for my son and I could count on if I had to leave him in case of an emergency...to be relied on as someone who would listen to the incessant venting about poopy diapers and absent fathers...I could go on forever here. So I'll stop. 
Mainly, I wanted to find a group of parents who were not judgmental or competitive and who applauded Hunter's accomplishments instead rating how far along he was developmentally. 
I think that I've found that group in us and I just wanted to Thank You all for being supporting roles in Hunter's life. 
By the way, if anyone does become competitive -- please know that I'll be the first person to call you out on it. ;)  A great book about this is "Sippy Cups are Not for Chardonnay". Check it out! :)

2 comments:

  1. I've lived in the city for 11 years and never knew any of my neighbors - so making just one friend here would have been such a thrill!! But having a group, now that's more than I could have ever imagined! We moved here in December when I was 7 months pregnant and a month later, my mother
    unexpectedly passed away. Needless to say, I thought for sure that I'd be a prime candidate for postpartum depression. I thank God everyday for my happy healthy wonderful baby girl and that I am finally a mom at my old age - I am also so grateful to have found this wonderful group of mommies to call my neighbors as well as friends. Thank you Azie and Susie for driving this big bus and for letting me and Raphaella on for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a lovely message Rena - it certainly filled my eyes up reading it! I am sorry to hear about your mum - we are all here for each other no matter what

    Susie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete